Re: Reverse lookup problem

Tony Gogoi said:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Adam Lang wrote:
>

>> Tony, to answer your question, yes, the problem is your ISP needs to
>> have a
>> PTR record setup for your mail server.
>

> You mean, our ISP needs to have a PTR record setup for our DNS server
> (rather than our mail sevrer) right ?

If you have static IP addresses ask your ISP to put in a reverse DNS for
all and any, that will fix your problem with mail servers not accepting
your email.  I Don't see what it has to do with your internal DNS.  Your
ISP owns your Internet IP addresses so your ISP must do reverse DNS for
you.  You can do DNS for your web and mail servers, but only name to IP
not reverse (IP to name).

>>From an external network,
>
> dig <our mail server name>
>
> correctly prints the IP address of our mail server and correctly prints
> the DNS server names in the authority section from an external network.

Of course it does, that is forward, not reverse, which you need.  Forget
dig, just ask your ISP for the PTR record, as Adam and I both suggested,
and everything will majically work.

--
Scott

-