cups and printing problem

Hi,
I'm changing our server from a red hat to a suse 9.1. Disregarding the
distribution, my problem is with printers. At the moment I'm using lpr to
print text files (either plain text or pcl ones) to pcl printers. The problem
comes with cups, that is more "graphic" oriented than simple lpr printing.
Here's the problem (as example suppos I'm using a HP Laserjet 4 plus):
I've configured the printer using yast2, and I'm able to print the test page
(both the text one and the graphical one). Nevertheless, if I try to print
via lpr a text file:
lpr -P hpclaudio file.txt
the printer led blinks but the page does not come out, and it seems as the
print is deleted by the printer queue without any error message. This happens
in particular if I configure the printer using its ppd file (hplj4). If I
configure the printer without a local filtering (i.e., no ppd file) I can
print text files but they are miswritten since there's no carriage return
(i.e., the print is all on one row). Due to our needs, is there a way to
print using cups and lpr with the right ppd file OR print manage carriage
returns without a specific ppd file?

Thanks,
Luca
--