Re: Linux Help

Hi Kev

I won't recommend any specific distro, as that's pretty much a religious decision ;)

But...

Kev wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Linux, so i'm paling to install a gateway, with the following,

1. Firewall

that's built into the Linux kernel, no matter what distro.

2. DNS

I'd go with Bind. There are others, but they've even been worse than Bind IMO. However, make sure it's configured as restrictive as possible - DNS has some protocol specific security issues.

3. DHCP

No idea

4. SMTP (relay only)

QMail or Sendmail should both do the job just fine. If you are only relaying anyway, you could however just set up SpamAssassin.

5. Email Virus Scaning

AMaViS

6. Gray Listing (email)

Errr... what?

7. NAT

Comes with the Linux kernel, it's more or less built into the firewall code.

8 Web Cashing

Squid

9. Web Based Configuration tool for all above.

Webmin (comes with most distros, AFAIK)

the Box will be a P2 with 256MB ram but if i can get it to work on a P1
166Mhz that would be great....

Should work fine on a P1/166. Depends on how complex your firewall rules are, and the amout of mail you want to process. Mail Virus Scanning is rather CPU intensive.