Re: setting up bind

Your named isnt starting because of errors in your named.conf. You can
look in /var/log/messages for more information on whats going wrong.

I am pasting my previous reply to you here on the list.

In /etc/named.conf

zone "com" {type delegation-only;};

Should look something like this:
=======================
zone "pcm.com" IN {
       type master;
       file "/var/named/pcm.com.zone";
};

zone "10.in-addr.arpa" IN {
       type master;
       file "/var/named/10.in-addr.arpa.zone";
 };
=======================

In your file /var/named/pcm.com.zone you should have:

$TTL    86400
$ORIGIN pcm.com.
@                     1D IN SOA ns.pcm.com.        root (
                                       2004070703              ; serial
                                       3H              ; refresh
                                       15M             ; retry
                                       1W              ; expiry
                                       1D )            ; minimum

                       1D IN NS        10.0.1.2
nms                     1D IN A         10.0.1.25
ns                      1D IN A         10.0.1.2
(and so on for each host)

In your /var/named/10.in-addr.arpa.zone
@                       IN SOA ns.pcm.com.   root.pcm.com. (
                                       2004070702              ; serial
                                       3H              ; refresh
                                       15M             ; retry
                                       1W              ; expiry
                                       1D )            ; minimum

@                       NS              ns.pcm.com.
                       NS              nms.pcm.com.
$ORIGIN 1.0.10.in-addr.arpa.
2       PTR     ns.pcm.com.
25       PTR     nms.pcm.com.
(and so on for each host)
I hope this helped.

Sorry I dont have time right now to go through all your zone files as
I am in a bit of a rush at the moment. I think you can customize the
above examples to suit your needs. I tend to keep my zone files in
/var/named whereas from your config it looks like you keep them in
/etc/bind. Please adjust to suit your needs.

Regards,

Ahsan Ali
State Bank of Pakistan