Re: Motivation

Josh wrote:

> My question is: Since you are admins and
> deal with reading not only the man pages but tons of other texts every
> day, how do you motivate yourself to sit down and just read it all, even
> when reading for hours and sometimes going through dozens of code
> examples ??

For the most part, we don't.

Anyone who is actually working as an admin generally has more urgent
things to do than read "bulk" documentation (e.g. tutorials).

Mostly, you read enough initially so that you have a reasonable
overview as to how the parts fit together. The rest can wait until you
actually need it.

It helps to know which programs do what, so you know which manual page
(and/or Info file or /usr/doc subdirectory) to read when dealing with
a specific issue, but you don't need to know the manuals off by heart.

Realistically, you can't expect to learn every detail. In computing,
knowledge tends to become outdated faster than you can acquire it.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@xxxxxxxxxx>
-