Re: looking at the network traffic

You can use managed switches to mirror traffic from a port to a
monitoring port on managed switches.

You can also use utilities such as macof or angst
[http://freshmeat.net/projects/angst/] (not tested by me myself) to
flood the switch databases and make switches forward traffic out on
all ports so you can capture network traffic.

-