Re: sendmail errorless error

I am no sendmail expert, but does 553 not mean "Relaying denied" ?? So you have an error message from sendmail.

thats why i was confused, because normally i always get a "relaying denied" message. as well as the error code.
but in any case, i figured out the reason. sendmail only permitted use of user/domain combinations listed in virtusertable. if i used an address not in there, i got the >error< problem.
but i dont understand why this is the case. some new anti-spam feature? normally sendmail has always allowed me to claim to be whoever i want, so long as i came from IPs allowed in relay.
anyway i thought virtusertable only affected incoming mail, but i guess i was wrong.

Enno

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 09:52, urgrue wrote:
> i normally test our mail servers using a telnet to port 25. but
> something is very different about one mail server. our client hasnt
> complained so im assuming the mail server works. but if i telnet in,
> when i get to MAIL FROM: blah@xxxxxxxxxx, the response is simply:
> 553 5.3.0 blah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >blah<@domain.com.
>
> what does >this< mean?
>
> any attempt to move on to RCPT TO: results in a need MAIL before
RCPT
> error.
>
> "blah" and "domain.com" are legitimate, genuine user/domain run by
this
> mail server. this error does not happen if i "send" the mail as
> user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> its hard to look up an explanation of the error when there is no
error
> message...
> can anyone explain this?
>
> -