samba problem

Hi all,
due to a problem with my firewall, which provides also a cache name service,
was not running. This seemed to produce some problems with another Linux
server which provides samba service, since all my windows clients were unable
to contact the smb share. After the firewall has restarted, and so named was,
the samba restart normally. Now, the strange thing was that also specifying a
share thru IP address we were unable to find the share:
\\192.168.1.3\project => unable to find the file, check that the path is right

Can anybody explain me why, even if the share were specified with an IP
address, they were unavailable until the name server re-came up?

I've tried to reboot the smb service, without success, and I'm asking an
explanation since I'm not so expert about samba.

Thanks,
Luca

--
Luca Ferrari,