[no subject]

Hi everyone,

I have a script which scans the /var/log/messages
file for FTP movements to notify some users of
relevant movements in some accounts they are
interested in. It runs fine when I launch it from
the command line (as root) and send it to
background. Once tested I installed  it in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local. When the machine reboots,
due to administrative purposes, power failures,
whatever, it reboots normally and the script can
be seen running ok. The only problem is that it
doesn't work. If I kill the process and rerun it
 from the command line, it starts working. The
very same script. No changes.

This is the script, called scanftp.sh:

/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages \
    | /root/scripts/scanftp.py

It is in a single line. The command I run is
sh scanftp.sh &

What do you think is wrong here?

Thanks,
Gerardo