Re: Drive Ready seek errors

0

> terry white wrote:
>> on "6-2-2004" "Brandon Evans" writ:
>>
>> : Lately, a lot of my Linux boxes have had hard drive failures.
>>
>> ... ciao:
>>
>>     in the not too distant past, word of 'faulty' 20 and 40GB drives
>> surfaced.  'maxtor' was one of the names mentioned, but was not alone in
>> this issue ...
>>

> These are all 120 Gig hardrives, some Seagate, some Maxtor, and some
> western digital,
> So I do not think it is any one manufacturer at fault.
>

> --
> Thanks,
>      Brandon E.
> -

I have experience with Adaptec 2410SA (sata) (built in driver in 2.4.x
kernels)
Promise FastTrak 100 TX4 (ide) (kernel module from promise.com)
FastTrak S150 TX4 (sata) (kernel module from promise.com)

The boxes wich have the adaptec controller are statisticly the most stable
(no hdd crash yet) till now BUT these boxes also have the best COOLING
system from the others that use the other raid controllers.Cooling is a
very important constant that you must have in mind when building boxes
with raid arrays that do heavy work (production servers).I get disk
failures all the time because of the bad cooling system.

Also remember to enable all the loging options in the scsi options while
configuring your kernel.

--
Alexander Economou
GNET NOC