Re: Drive Ready seek errors

Toby Fisher wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Brandon Evans wrote:

Lately, a lot of my Linux boxes have had hard drive failures. There are about 15 servers running raid 1 on Red hat 7.3. Does anyone have any suggestions, maybe some good doc's, on hard drive troubleshooting / tuning? Some of the failed hard drives are only a couple months old, and have already been replaced twice, so I suspect a faulty ide controller. What is a good IDE controller card to buy for Linux?

I can't answer the question about the controller cards, but have you considered using smartd? It should give you some warning that your drives are on the way out. In addition, if this is happening across several boxes, it is possible that kernel configuration is a problem. How do these drives fail? What kinds of errors do you get?

Could it be a power suply problem affecting several machines?

--
Pau Montero Pares