From: "Miguel González Castaños" <mgc@xxxxxx>
To: <linux-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 9:18 AM
Subject: Source code compiled vs RPMs

dear all,

 I am going to setup several server using RedHat 9. So far, I always
used RedHat 7.3 as the base for installing my servers ( I am not talking
about workstations).

 What I do is to install the minimum RPMs required in order the system
to work and then after I try to install what I need from pristina
tarballs, to suit my needs.

 So far what I have been installing is (apart of the minimum system) are
linux routers and apache webservers plus any database server such as
PostgreSQL or Oracle.

 The packages that I install from sources are:

 OpenSSL
 OpenSSH
 Apache + SSL
 PHP
 PostgreSQL

 So far I had no issues at all, I just upgrade at any time when any bug
or alert arised and thats it.

 But I have started to mess up with apt-get and it is a nice tool to
upgrade my system, but sometimes I need to keep my system how it was
(not upgrading openssl, etc).

 Ok, going for the point ;). For instance I have tried to install wget
which requires openssl. I have install it from source and create the
links in the /lib directory as the RPM does, but still the RPM manager
can´t install wget because there is no package openssl. I try to use
no-deps and see what happens and then the system can´t somehow find the
openssl libraries.

 I am thinking about starting to create my own RPM packages, since these
tools I mentioned above I always install them from source, but maybe
this is not the best (and less time-consuming) approach.

 I would like to hear more suggestions from you guys...I have seen that
in Debian the usually create empty .deb packages to satisfy the
dependencies...I have googled a bit but I dont see this possibility in
RPM...Any hint?

 Many thanks in advance

 Miguel

-