Re: Need Help with making a bash script

Hi Fernando

answers inline.

Fernando wrote:
I have two problems.

1. I'm making a script to add IP's to my blacklist...

I need to add three <tabs>, the word 'REJECT' and a #DDMMYYYY that it's being done to a text file that has the IP's in it... ie this is the original list;

80.25.148.216
80.43.197.197

needs to end up like this...

80.25.148.216            REJECT    #28052004
80.43.197.197            REJECT    #28052004

I just happen to have almost exactly such a script running here. The relevant part is this one here, modified to your needs. It requires that you set SOURCEFILE to whatever file you use. Same for DESTFILE. I didn't put any secure checks for either source or dest in there, just FYI.

rm $DESTFILE
cat $SOURCEFILE | while read TCPREMOTEIP
do
  echo "$TCPREMOTEIP<insert TABs here>REJECT #`date +%Y%m%d`" >> $DESTFILE
done

The same thing can probably also be done faster with sed.

2. The second is a little bit more complicated.

My server is having trouble deleting virus emails, I want to help it along with a little cron job that will clear out virus emails every 10 minutes or so. I get the list of infected emails from the maillog but in the maillog only the email ID is displayed. In the actual queue there are two files per 1 email ID.

ie... this is what the log spits out as emails that are infected that I want to delete...

foo1
foo2
foo3

but in the queue there are two files per email, a qffoo and a dffoo so in the queue the previous emails would actually be...

dffoo1
qffoo1
dffoo2
qffoo2
dffoo3
qffoo3

So, is it possible to run rm with a wildcard to compensate for the df qf letters and still feed it the list of email ID's which make up the last part of the df qf files?

Yes, simply run it with wildcards like this: rm ??foo1

Hope this helps

Jen
-