Re: Slackware? and NIS

Jeff Largent wrote:

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 20:27, Mauricio Silveira wrote:

Hello there

I've notice some strange behaviour about NIS. I'm using a slackware 9.1 box with slackware-current updates.

I've configured a server and ran make under /var/yp and then tried 'ypcat passwd' and 'ypcat group' on a client machine; It retrieved the passwd file correctly, but the group was empty. Later I ran 'ypmake' and the 'ypcat group' on the client side dumped the information.

I've never run NIS on a Slackware box, but on Redhat you have to edit the Makefile in /var/yp. It dosn't work straight out of the box.

And when I change the password on the server machine, I must run make under /var/yp, ypmake does'nt update the NIS passwd database.

Did you mean running passwd on the server did not make the NIS passwd database? When you are running NIS use yppasswd instead of passwd.

I know I should run ypppasswd on the client side, but when i change some user's password on the server machine, running ypmake doesn't update the NIS databases, I MUST run make under /var/yp to get the passwords updated to the NIS service. This seems like a NIS/ypmake bug?

On the other side, if I run make under /var/yp for the first time, the "group" table is built empty, and running ypmake rebuilds it correctly.

So, my question is: Am I doind something wrong, or NIS is not behaving as it should... here?

version information:

yp-tools-2.8
ypbind-mt-1.17.2
ypmake-0.11
ypserv-2.12.1

Seems like NIS 'schema' changed a lot since I last used them...

Thanks,
Mauricio

-