Re: Samba advice

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:02:22PM -0400, Adam Lang wrote:
> Print servers merely offer the
> printers as a share for spooling and pass the data off to the printer.

Not exactly. Windows clients can send PostScript data to
server. If printer is PS-capable then server can send data directly
to the printer. Most printers are not, and server has to interpret PS
itself.

I prefer to rasterize PS _always_ with Ghostscript.
It takes significant amount of server CPU cycles but makes results
much predictable with any printers.

IMHO, the best printing scheme is:
1) Windows clients have PS-drivers installed (i.e. Apple LaserWriter)
2) Linux server has Ghostscript installed
3) Almost any printer can be attached to Linux server.

Note that Windows clients don't even know which printer is
actually used. Any correct A4 or smaller PS (or PDF) is OK.
The only drawback is that you need powerful CPU for printing.
It takes ~5 min. to print some complex diagrams and graphs
on my Celeron 566 :)

--
I am a viral sig. Please copy me and help me spread. Thank you.
-