Re: RAID 1

On Friday 14 May 2004 03:25 am, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I didnt know about this mdadm tool instead of using raidtools. I
> already have a production system using raidtools. Can I just remove
> raidtools and install mdadm instead with no harm in my system? I
> would like to receive an email in the case the raid state changes...
>
>  Thanks in advance and sorry for my english
>
>  Miguel

They'll even work fine together.  They're both different takes on
managing the md system -- raidtools being many separate tools, mdadm
being one single tool.  They both use the same system calls to manage
the raid (but different config files!).  If you simply install mdadm,
you don't necessarily have to use it for *all* raid management;  I add
it to Slackware boxes simply for the monitoring.  Getting monitoring
for all arrays is as simple as adding these two lines to your rc.local
(or equivalent boot script):

echo "Enabling RAID Monitor."
/sbin/mdadm -F --scan -m foo@xxxxxxxxx -f

--