Re: What determiens where email is stored?

Adam Lang wrote:

> I am using Sendmail with procmail as the local mailer.
>
> Currently all the mail is stored on my mail server in
> /var/spool/mail/<username>
>
> I want to move the storage to a different directory and I can not seem
> to find the appropriate configuration file.
>
> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

Other than the symlink answer, sendmail defines this at compile time.  I
know, you're thinking, "With all that crap you can configure and all
the macro-expansion, they don't even let you change the mail drop?"
Yeah, it's strange, but you'll find what you need in
"include/sendmail/pathnames.h" from the sendmail source kit.  There
should be a line that defines "_PATH_MAILDIR".  You should be able to
get the source to your sendmail package (srpms, apt-get --source, or
what have you), make this change, and replace the package.

That's a lot of effort, I'd go with the symlink. :)  Just don't forget
to document what you do, lest the other admins fling CDs at you.

--
Matt Howard <mhoward@xxxxxxxxxx>
Superior Insurance - Technical Services

-