Re: console parameter ignored

Grub supports the serial console just fine. I can use it during the GRUB boot
process to select   the linux image and command line options I want.

The problem happens when the kernel takes over and begins  printing
messages to the console or waiting for input from the console in case of fsck
failure.

The /proc/cmdline file shows:
ro root=/dev/hda1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,38400n8

So apparently the kernel is reading the command line arguments correctly.

For some reason, the kernel is  not using  ttyS0 for its console.  The kernel
boot messages go to the video screen and  input is read from the keyboard.

Once the boot process reaches run level 3 however,  the getty process on ttyS0
works and I can login, assuming all goes well.

Since GRUB and getty  both work with the ttyS0 serial port, there
is obviously nothing wrong with it per se. So I am left with the
conclusion that for some reason the kernel is refusing to use the ttyS0 port
as its console.

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:51:52PM -0500, Bill Carlson wrote:
> No, look at serial-console.txt in the kernel Documentation, the above
> syntax is correct for the kernel.
>
> Rudy, you'll need to tell grub to support serial; I prefer lilo and one
> has to tell lilo specifically to support serial as well as add the kernel
> parameters. You'll have to figure out what to tell grub.
>
> Also, double check your kernel parameters are being read correctly by
> checking /proc/cmdline.
>
> Bill Carlson

Rudy Vener
-