Re: Question about sendmail.

That's true. However the imapd or popd delivered with Linux RH
are only simple daemons.
I use the qpopper which gives you a lot of configuration options, like
flush the mail from the server after transfer, before and without a quit.
I use this for modem dialin. Sometimes my client fetches the mails from
the server (>5MB) and the transfer breaks. So all the mail are fetched
again with the normal pop3d, but not with the qpopper daemon. Ok, there's
a risk, but that's not the problem.

A concrete example: when mail is retrieved via POP3, and deleted from
the server, the server will only actually delete the messages upon
receipt of a QUIT command. If the client retrieves some messages,
marks them for deletion, then closes the connection without issuing a
QUIT command, the messages will be retained, and hence retrieved again
on the next attempt.