a question about disk quota

Hello,
I've got some problems using disk quotas, or better I saw some strange
behaviors that I cannot explain to myself.
This is the situation: one file server (Linux debian 3.0 r2) with homes
mounted by client (debian too) through NFS. Users cannot access directly to
the server, and this means the only directories they can see is their home,
mounted thru NFS.
Since the number of user start growing fast,I decided to activate disk quotas
per users. To do so I applied a first quota to a user and then copied it to
all others using edquota -p. In other words I applied quotas after some users
have already started to use their disk space, so that they can be already out
of the quota limit. In fact, some users had to delete some files to come back
under the limit, and until now all seems right.
But from a few days I found some users with large amounts of disk usage,
exceeding the quota (and thus unable to save files), but I cannot find their
files! In other words, checking their home they don't seem to use more space
than the quota limit. I have already tried with find, to see all their files,
I have ran quotacheck more than one time (and I execute it every night), but
I cannot find their files.
The only solution I found is to temporarily raise their quota, but this is not
what I want to do. Any idea? Could it be a bug? I'm using quota v2.

Thanks,
Luca

--
Luca Ferrari,