Re: graphic characters in console

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> > > I've got a problem displaying those graphics characters that you can find
> > > (for example) in ncurses based programs (I mean lines, angles, etc.). On
> > > my red hat 6.2 system they are displayed fine (I mean that if I cat a
> > > file which contains those character I can see them weel), but on my suse
> > > 8.2 they are not. In fact they are displayed as strange alphabetic
> > > characters. I don't know what's the setting to display rightly those
> > > characters, anyone can help me?
> >
> > You have to select a suitable console font with e.g. setfont or
> > consolechars. The default8x9 and default8x16 fonts usually have the
> > line graphics characters, while those beginning with "iso" correspond
> > to the various ISO-8859 encodings (e.g. iso01-* all use ISO-8859-1).
> >

> I've tried with default fonts, but they don't display fonts very well. I found
> that using fonts cp866-8x16 everything is going right, but only for pure
> console (tty). How to set fonts for  virtual console (i.e., graphic terminals
> such as konsole)? If I try it I get:
> putfont: KDFONTOP: Operation not permitted
>
> Any suggestion?

For X-based terminal emulators, the mechanism to specify the font
tends to be specific to each program (or to the GUI toolkit which it
uses). E.g. xterm and rxvt use X resources, but GTK-based and Qt-based
programs have their own mechanims (I'm not familiar with the details).

Also, X-based programs will use X fonts rather than console fonts.
Most X fonts don't include the line-graphics characters. At least,
they don't include them in the G1 range (codes 160 to 255). Recent
versions of XFree86 have them in some of the Unicode-encoded fonts on
the 0x2500-0x25ff page, but that won't help if you're simply "cat"-ing
an MS-DOS (CP437 or similar) text file.

I only know of one X font which has the line-graphics characters in
the G1 range, which is the "vga" font which is included with the
"dosemu" program.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@xxxxxxxxxx>
-