using amanda

Hello,
I'm trying to learn how to use amanda for backups, but I have several
difficulties due to the lack of documentation, so I'm writing here hoping
someone can help me to understand what to do and how.
The situation is the following: I've a raid partition mounted under /mnt/data,
I want to backup this every evening on a dat tape.
I've compiled and installed amanda on the computer, and then I've run
amtapetype -f /dev/nst0 DAT
which (after two hours) returned with:
define tapetype DAT {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
    length 1043 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 316 kps
}
Now I suppose I have to run amlabel, but when I try I get:
[root@mammuth amanda]# amlabel camera_oscura DAT
amlabel: could not load tapelist
"/usr/local/etc/amanda/camera_oscura/tapelist"
where camera_oscura is my configuration.

What to do now? If everyone knows some howto or step-by-step documentation
please forward to me.
Thanks very much,
Luca

--