chrooting oidentd

Hello all, I'm in the process of creating a chroot
jail for oidentd, but I'm running into some problems.
oidentd runs find just by itself, but it refuses to
run in the chrooted environment. Here's what I've
done:

File Structure:
/chroot/oidentd/
   bin
   dev
   etc
   lib
   tmp
   usr
      sbin
   var
      run

The chrooted etc contains:
   group passwd shadow ld.so.cache (regenerated in the
environment)

/usr/sbin contains the oidentd executable.

dev contains:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1,   3 Sep  2 15:00 null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1,   5 Sep  2 18:05 zero

lib contains all the library files which were
outputted by 'ldd /usr/sbin/oidentd' and 'lsof | grep
oidentd', while oidentd was running of course.

I realize I don't have syslogging setup, but that
doesn't matter, because I'm running oidentd with the
-S and -q flags, which suppress logging. I'll turn
them on later...

oidentd DOES run fine in the chrooted environment
without any flags. But of course it runs as root,
which is completely undesirable. As soon as I add
-u1002 -g1002, nothing happens. No output, no errors,
just nothing. a 'ps -ef | grep oidentd' shows nothing.

My chrooted /etc/passwd and /etc/group contain the
appropriate user and group, so there should be no
problem. What am I missing? Do I have to regenerate
the passwd database somehow?

I know I'm missing something small and stupid, but all
my googling says that it should be up and running. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
Brian Kreulen

-