Re: sendmail problem

Sarvesh Singhal wrote:

>  last many days I am looking at ways to backup all out going mail in a
>  particaular direct./mail id/...
>
>  is there any way out?

You can log *all* traffic into a single file by using the -X switch,
e.g.

	sendmail -bd -q15m -X /var/log/sendmail.dump

>From there, you can extract individual messages with a script. Note
that this will only log mail which is sent through the daemon. That
will be sufficient for a dedicated mail server, but not for a system
on which users have shell accounts.

Anything other than that is messy. The sendmail FAQ's contribution to
this topic is limited to the following:

[from http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.20 ]

	Subject: Q4.20 -- How can I automatically copy messages based on
	sender or recipient addresses?

	Date: June 30, 2000
	Updated: February 27, 2001
	Updated: June 5, 2001
	Updated: February 13, 2003

	It would require custom programming. You could either write a mail
	filter using the new Milter API in sendmail 8.10 and later (see
	libmilter/README) or you could look at some of these other unsupported
	hints:

	      o Axel Reinhold's logall.c module
	      o Message-Id: <33AA593A.4B701C3F@xxxxxxxxxxx>
	      o the procmailrc man page

	Note that no such feature has been added to sendmail. When asked about
	this one of the sendmail developers said it was "because we still
	believe a bit in privacy."

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@xxxxxxxxxx>
-