Securing my machine

Hello everybody,

I use Slackware 9.1 on my desktop-machine. I do so quite happily, it
took only a week for Slackware to become my new primary OS. =)

I connect to the internet through a small server/gateway running
NetBSD-1.6.1. The gateway connects to my ISP via ISDN-dial-up
connection.
The NetBSD-machine runs ipf (NetBSD's packet filter, roughly equivalent
to iptables) and IPNAT.

I run gtk-gnutella on my desktop-machine from time to time. Since I want
others to be able to connect to my machine (also, for getting
push-connections), I decided to forward the corresponding port to my
Linux-machine.
This has even shown to work fine, thanks. =)

But I am getting a little concerned about letting others connect to my
machine. Since my desktop-machine is behind a firewall, also since I am
the only user on my home-network, I did not exactly take care to secure
my Linux-machine.
Now I am getting worried someone might break into my machine via
GNUtella. I don't think gtk-gnutella was written with security in
mind...

So I want to tighten the security on my Linux machine in a way that
includes minimal inconvenience. Of course, I am going to start with all
the usual stuff, like installing tripwire, shutting down unneeded
services (in fact, I do this by default after installation), taking
care of file-permissions, cleaning up unneeded suid/sgid-bits, and so
on.

But then I read, most of all network-attacks are done via
buffer-overflows, so this is what I am most concerned about. I hear,
there's basically two ways of handling this problem:
- Using MAC/RBAC for controlling the ressources an application can
  access - if it's getting compromised, it won't be able to harm the
  system (seLinux).
- Preventing buffer-overflows in the first place. There's several
  options how to achieve this, the most important are a) applying
  patches to the kernel (PaX, grSecurity) or to the GNU C Compiler
  (ProPolice)

In general, preventing buffer-overflows at all seems preferrable to me,
since it does not seem to require that much work. Also, this is they
way the OpenBSD-project has been going, and OpenBSD surely has a
reputation for first-class security.
So I got several questions:
- Has anyone worked with these system-add-ons? Got any experiences to
  share with me?
- ProPolice sounds nice. But using it would require lots of
  recompiling... What exactly do I have to recompile in order to benefit
  from it? Just the application in question? The libraries, too? The
  kernel? The entire system?
  I am going to evaluate CRUX and Gentoo on my desktop-machine, both of
  which offer the option of recompiling the entire system. If I choose
  to use one of these as my primary system, recompiling won't be a
  problem, any more. As of now, it is, if system libraries or even the
  base system are involved.
- PaX/grSecurity sound really sweet. But I see on the homepages, there
  are patches available only for linux-kernels 2.4.22. Is 2.6 going to
  be supported in the near future?
  I am using 2.6.0-test8 right now, and I am rather happy with it, so I
  would like to keep using 2.6, once the final version is out.
  On the other hand, I can switch back to 2.4.22 if PaX/grSecurity
  offers serious protection.
  And a lot of grSec's features sound really neat. =) Right now, this
  sounds like the best way to secure my machine, since it invloves only
  minimal setup, just patching and recompiling the kernel, while
  increasing system-security drastically. If I got things right, that
  is...
- MAC/RBAC does not really sound like I need it. Then again, more
  security never hurts.
  But this also sounds like it is going to be a lot of learning plus a
  lot of effort to get it working. Furthermore, the corresponding
  kernel-patch is developed at the NSA, and I do not exactly trust the
  NSA to contribute to my privacy.
  In order for M/RB-AC to be really useful, I'm afraid, you have to take
  a lot of time to set it up correctly. And, as I said, I do not know
  terribly much about this topic.
  If I get things right, seLinux and grSecurity are not mutually
  exclusive.

So, in general, any information will be appreciated. If there are
further promising ways of protecting my system against
buffer-overflows, I would like to know, as well.
Of course, I like to read a lot, so any hints on where to look for
information will be appreciated as well (if there's something
useful/interesting to read, there).
I am aware of pageexec.virtualave.net (PaX's homepage) and
grsecurity.net, as well as the NSA's seLinux-page.
Anything I missed? Anything I should know?

Thank you very much in advance,

Kind regards,

Benjamin Walkenhorst

--