Re: how to install 2 linux(es) on a PC?

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 00:00:59 -0800 (PST), "terry white"
<twhite@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> on "11-4-2003" "Jim C. Brown" writ:
>
> : Which partitions are the 2 linuxes installed on? (I assume you
> installed them
> : on separate partitions, for obvious reasons they can't be installed
> onto the
> : same partition.)
>
> ... i don't see why not.  given 'one' partition, create two file systems,

I'm not sure how one can make 2 file systems on the same partition. Seems
tricky to me.
You might wanna either post an explaination on how it is done, or post a
link to a page
which explains the process. (If he wanted he could also use 2 separate
hard drives,
but I assume he can't afford that luxury so I pointed him into making 2
partitions,
which is tricky but at least it doesn't cost money.)

Also, AFAIK Lilo can only be made to select booting of PARTITIONS, so to
be able to boot the 2 linuxes with Lilo, they'd have to be on separate
partitions. If i'm wrong
please correct me. I don't know anything about GRUB so that might be
different.

In any case, we are agreed: the 2 linuxes must at least be on separate
file systems.

> and make each distribution, descndant from the 'root' of each

> : What does your lilo.conf/grub conif file look like? Whats the error
> message
> : that the boot loader gives you?
>
>     "error" output is your friend.

I don't understand what you mean here. I'm asking for the output because
I believe that
will reveal some information about the problem (as would the config
files). The more
information we have the better.

> : P.S. I'm just curious, why do you want to have 2 linuxes installed in
> the
> : first place?
>
>    i'm guessing "RH's" departure plays a part in it ...

Ouch. I'm not familiar with RH's departure, but I have heard that its
raised a lot of
issues.

http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?
-