Re: Script to edit /etc/aliases file

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:55:25AM -0400, David Tice wrote:
> We add new users through a script that  sets up home directories on
> different machines. If they are a student they on one machine if they are
> faculty they are on different and so on. Our mail comes into one machine
> and then sent to where their home directory lives. ( I did not set it up
> this way but I have to deal with it)  I need to set up aliases for everyone
>  who is new and I am doing it by hand.
> Does anyone have a script that I can use?

Hi David,
  A little while ago, I wrote some perl scripts that take a text file
with usernames like so:

<user file>
user1
user2
user3
</user file>

then creates the unix account, sets a default password, sets up the
sendmail virtusertable, and a few other things. You should be able to
use it to create the aliases file instead of the virtusertable without
much trouble.

I will send it over when I get home (I'm at work now), in a couple of
hours.

HTH

--
Mat Harrison			| email: matth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3d Computer Systems Ltd.	| tel: ++441249 460 766