Re: acpi_device_notify() binding devices that don't seem like they should be bound

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Daniel Scally <djrscally@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >> only ever be a single child device with the same _ADR as the parent, so
> >> I suppose this is possibly a case of poor ACPI tables confusing the code
> >> a bit; given both PNP0A08:00 and _all_ of the INT3472 devices have _ADR
> >> set to zero (as indeed do the machine's cameras), but I'm not
> >> knowledgeable enough on ACPI to know whether that's to spec (or at least
> >> accounted for). The INT3472 devices themselves do not actually seem to
> >> represent a physical device (atleast, not in this case...sometimes they
> >> do...), rather they're a dummy being used to simply group some GPIO
> >> lines under a common _CRS. The sensors are called out as dependent on
> >> these "devices" in their _DEP method, which is already a horrible way of
> >> doing things so more broken ACPI being to blame wouldn't surprise me.
> >>
> >> The other problem that that raises is that there seems to be _no_ good
> >> candidate for binding to 0000:00:00.0 that's a child of PNP0A08:00 - the
> >> only devices sharing _ADR 0 and having _STA != 0 are those two INT3472
> >> entries and the machine's cameras.
> >
> > After some more reading, I'm pretty confident that this is the problem
> > now - I.E. that those devices having _ADR of 0 is what's causing this
> > issue to materialise, and that those values should be set to something
> > more appropriate. Still unsure about the best approach to fix it though
> > from a kernel point of view; there doesn't seem to be anything out of
> > whack in the logic, and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) there can be
> > legitimate instances of child devices sharing _ADR=0 with the parent, so
> > the problem becomes how to identify the illegitimate instances so that
> > they can be discarded. My experience in this is really limited, so I
> > lean towards the conclusion that hard-coding exceptions somewhere might
> > be necessary to handle this without resorting to patched ACPI tables.
> > Whether that's within acpi_find_child_device() to prevent matching
> > occurring there, or else setting the adev->pnp.bus_address to some
> > alternate value after creation to compensate.
> >
> > I recognise that that's a horrible answer though, so I'm really hoping
> > that someone has an idea for how to handle this in a better way.
>
> Oops, missed this crucial line from the spec:
>
> "A device object must contain either an _HID object or an _ADR object,
> but should not contain both."
>
> And here's the Device declaration for these objects:
>
>         Device (PMI0)
>         {
>             Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
>             Name (_HID, "INT3472")  // _HID: Hardware ID
>             Name (_CID, "INT3472")  // _CID: Compatible ID
>             Name (_DDN, "INCL-CRDD")  // _DDN: DOS Device Name
>             Name (_UID, Zero)  // _UID: Unique ID
>
> So that's the broken part rather than the _ADR value of 0 specifically.
> That at least gives a jumping off point for some logic to fix rather
> than a hardcoded anything, so I'll try to work out a nice way to handle
> that (probably ignoring adevs in acpi_find_child_device() with addr=0

Please see the comment in find_child_checks(), though - it kind of
tries to handle this case already.

I guess what happens is that _STA is not present under the device that
is expected to be matched, so maybe the logic regarding this may be
changed somewhat.

> Sorry for the noise, think I'm good now :)

OK