Re: Revert Asus battery_full_discharging_quirk

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 4:03 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pardon my French: but this is bullshit, the behavior I'm describing can be
> observed every single charge cycle. I've written multiple full-gauge and
> charger-ic drivers by now and none actively discharge the battery.
>
> What they do is they do not *start* *charging* the battery when it is above
> a certain threshold, so they charge to 100%, and if you then disconnect it
> only shortly, so it drops to 99% and then plug in again they do not start
> a new charge cycle. That is a very different thing from actively discharging
> the battery and reporting this "not charging" state as discharging to the
> user will make the user think his adapter/power-brick is broken or not
> properly plugged in.

I was going mostly on the communications from Asus here - and
extrapolating since my UPS is also documented to have discharge cycle
behaviour - but I guess I was wrong about "decent consumer products"
in general. Thanks for sharing your experience.

> So Asus is simply not telling the entire story here and their ACPI
> implementation really is buggy.

If you have time to write up your analysis against the AML (and any
suggested AML changes), I will pass it on to Asus BIOS team in hope
that they fix future products.

I agree with the approach you are taking in your patches. Thanks for
working on this!

Daniel