Re: S0ix failure due to "clk: x86: Do not gate clocks enabled by the firmware"

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 10:04:53 +0200,
Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 12:35:15AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, wrt $Subject it sparks the question how to fix the
> > > issue exposed by commit d31fd43c0f9a4 "clk: x86: Do not
> > > gate clocks enabled by the firmware".  Add quirks to
> > > the drivers for the devices that have the dangling
> > > PowerResources and manually call _OFF/_ON during suspend/resume?
> > >
> > > I must admit I haven't looked deeper into the issue yet,
> > > i.e. I don't know which clock causes S0ix failure.
> > > If I understand correctly, before d31fd43c0f9a4 the
> > > clk framework would just disable all unused clocks
> > > registered by clk-pmc-atom.c, which are all of then except
> > > CLK3 which is used by the audio codec. And the audio codec
> > > would disable CLK3 during suspend.
> > > After d31fd43c0f9a4 all clocks that BIOS had enabled during boot
> > > are kept running.  Presumably we could also add the quirk to
> > > clk-pmc-atom.c to bypass what d31fd43c0f9a4 added on Asus E200HA?
> >
> > Since this is S0ix, the "system level" is 0 all the time (as I said in a
>
> Damn.  Reading ACPI spec (6.1 and 6.2), it talks about _LPI and _RDI
> but E200HA doesn't have that in any ACPI table.
> The table in section 7.1 Power Resource Objects and the Power Management Models
> says "Choose a supported device state to enable a targeted system sleep or
> Low- power Idle state ... [use] _PRx".
>
> > So there seem to be two possible ways to address this, unfortunately both
> > based on white- or blacklisting.
> >
> > One of them would be to only do the d31fd43c0f9a4 approach for selected
> > systems where it needs to be done to avoid breakage.  The other one would
> > be to do it for all systems by default and blacklist the ones where that
> > leads to problems.
> >
> > IMO it is better to disable clocks over suspend-resume, because that reduces
> > the system's power draw while suspended.  So that's what I would do and then
> > keep the clocks running only if that is known to be necessary.
>
> d31fd43c0f9a4 was added to fix a "hard hangup on boot" issue,
> so I guess the default should be to keep clocks enabled.
>
> BTW, in E200HA DSDT, the PowerResources in question are children of
> the I2Cx devices, presumably it means these clocks are to be used by
> devices connected to the i2c busses.  Maybe it's a left over from devices
> that are not present in E200HA, and we should ignore them.
>
> In conclusion the BIOS bug is that it enables these clocks at boot,
> and the correct quirk is to make clk-pmc-atom.c disable them during init,
> but leave the _PRx handling for the used clocks (CLK3) to ACPI.

Well, I can't say which is the buggy behavior, but at least, I agree
with Rafael that white/blacklisting is likely the way to go.

One thing I'm wondering is whether it's specific to device or specific
to platform.  The ASUS one that showed a regression Johannes and I
have is the Cherrytrail, while the device showed the hang-at-boot was
Baytrail, IIRC.

thanks,

Takashi