RE: ACPI module-level code (MLC) not working?

Hi,

> From: Zheng, Lv
> Subject: RE: ACPI module-level code (MLC) not working?
>
> Hi,
>
> > From: Peter Wu [mailto:peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > Subject: Re: ACPI module-level code (MLC) not working?
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 12:07:47AM +0000, Zheng, Lv wrote:
> > > Hi,

> resources.

> > OEM

> > 20287.tar.gz

> > > The table headers are:
> > >
> > > DefinitionBlock ("dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 1, "LENOVO", "CB-01   ", 0x00000001)
> > > DefinitionBlock ("ssdt1.aml", "SSDT", 1, "LENOVO", "CB-01   ", 0x00000001)
> > > DefinitionBlock ("ssdt2.aml", "SSDT", 1, "LENOVO", "CB-01   ", 0x00000001)
> > > DefinitionBlock ("ssdt3.aml", "SSDT", 1, "LENOVO", "CB-01   ", 0x00000001)
> > > DefinitionBlock ("ssdt4.aml", "SSDT", 1, "LENOVO", "CB-01   ", 0x00000001)
> > > DefinitionBlock ("ssdt5.aml", "SSDT", 1, "LENOVO", "CB-01   ", 0x00000001)
> > >
> > > They will be deemed as different versions of the same table from linux ACPI's point of view.
> > > Whether override will be done or not depends on Linux version.
> >
> > When I mentioned override, I referred to the method described in
> > Documentation/acpi/method-customizing.txt where any ACPI table can be
> > overridden via the initrd. Indeed, that method is unable to pick
> > arbitrary tables when they all have the same ID.
> >
> > > In recent Linux, ssdt1.aml will be used (no override), while in old Linux, ssdt5.aml will be used
> > (override).
> >
> > Does this refer to the same override method as described above? The
> > tables are loaded normally even if they have the same name.
> >
> > > Let me ask further.
> > > 1. Should OSPM load only ssdt5.aml or load only ssdt1.aml, or load
> > ssdt1.aml,ssdt2.aml,ssdt3.aml,ssdt4.aml,ssdt5.aml?
> > > 2. Can you confirm Windows behavior here via amli?
> > >
> > > Anyway, this is a special case that violates spec and seems to be aiming to trigger regressions
> > against changed logic brought by me.
> > > No matter whether the change is reasonable.
> >
> > OSPM should load all tables, they are all different. Perhaps you are
> > confusing this override method with how Linux normally loads tables?
> > (Aren't the identifiers just used for visual purposes and irrelevant for
> > normal operation?)
>
> No, I'm not confusing it.
> I want to know the exact behavior here.
>
> Because I'm actually about to change acpi_tb_compare_tables().
> This allows and acpi_install_table() invocations to override matched tables.
> So I'll remove Linux table override callback.

I also was about to change /sys/firmware/acpi/tables, renaming tables using the IDs.
This platform makes such cleanup impossible...

Back to the issue, IMO, the bug report is against _OSI support in module level.
I'll check if _OSI can be invoked in module level.

Thanks and best regards
Lv