Re: [RFC 00/15] ACPI graph support

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 12:28:36PM +0200, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 12:00:03PM +0300, Mika Westerberg wrote:
>
> > The _DEP method should be used for Operation Region dependencies but
> > here it is used for functional dependencies so that the audio machine
> > driver can find the corresponding codec. Why Microsoft used it like this
> > and not pushed it to ASWG to be added to the ACPI spec? Should we now
> > refuse to support it in Linux on the basis that it has not been
> > discussed with ASWG and it abuses _DEP?
>
> The fact that the ACPI community hasn't been doing a good job of working
> together is essentially the issue that people are pushing back on here.
> We appear to not even be trying to set a better standard for how to do
> things here.

Why using _DSD and the existing, well tested, DT properties (remote
endpoints) is not even considered making a better standard?

> Sitting externally to the group at Intel doing this it really looks like
> there's been a decision to mirror DT into ACPI en masse.

There has been no such decision as far as I can tell.

> If we really want to do that we should actually take that decision,
> preferrably with at least buy in from other ACPI users on Linux and
> with some review of existing ACPI standardization efforts to make sure
> we're not duplicating work there.  Ideally we'd also be pushing
> anything we do towards ASWG even if just as a fiat accomplait.

Agreed.

> > > By copying DT, but changing a few things, we're in effect creating a new
> > > ill-defined Linux-specific standard. If we're going to create a new standard,
> > > we should go through the ASWG, and make an actual standard. If we're not going
> > > to create a new standard, we should use DT directly, rather than trying to
> > > force DT into ACPI.
>
> > These boards we are talking about ship with ACPI based firmware. We
> > should not expect users of those boards to be cabable of replacing the
> > existing firmware with DT one.
>
> Since we're still at the point of defining bindings hopefully we're not
> shipping yet...

No, those systems are already out there. See Intel Joule for one example
(there are many others). You can connect your own camera sensor there.