Re: [RFC 00/15] ACPI graph support

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 11:37:04PM +0200, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 02:26:50PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Lorenzo Pieralisi

> > And it is not an option for those boards to use DT in the firmware.
>
> There's nothing stopping these systems defining a DSD that contains a
> DTB which overrides some or all of the ACPI if the system supports it
> (or otherwise providing both system descriptions).

Please, no. We very deliberately avoided this mix-and-match scheme for arm64
(it was proposed in discussions several times), because it suffers form worse
issues than PRP (since you can't corss-reference between DT and ACPI).

The arm64 kernel needs a DTB to pass some OS-specific stuff like bootargs, but
when using ACPI almost everything else is ignored -- we don't unflatten the
tree and we don't instanciate devices from it.

> The two can coexist happily enough as arm64 has shown and it seems like it
> ought to save a whole lot of work especially around the bits that need inter
> device links and are hence need some new ACPI bindings defining.

A single kernel binary can happily support both, yes. But not a mixture at
runtime.

Thanks,
Mark.