Re: [RFC 00/15] ACPI graph support

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 02:26:50PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > As you said this can only happen once the fwnode API usage trickles
> > into the respective subsystems. Can we prevent it ? I hope so and
> > we are keeping an eye on that too (that's the reason why I asked
> > Mika to widen the audience, BTW), but that's the *only* way to
> > prevent this FW bindings mix-up and it is almost impossible to
> > vet all code getting into subsystems IMHO.
> >
> > I am trying to understand why x86 wants to do this, please understand
> > our point of view too, we do not want to block progress we want to
> > prevent a mess.
>
> It is not "x86" who wants to do that.
>
> It is people who work on support for boards with ACPI firmware and
> containing devices that in Linux are handled by DT-centric code.
>
> Of course, the reason why that code is DT-centric is because it was
> developed on systems using DT and there were no uses on ACPI-based
> systems for it back then.  Still, it is DT-centric as a matter of fact
> and *something* has to be done in order to make it work with ACPI.

We often create DT bindings for devices whose drivers were previously
ACPI-centric. If necessary, we expect that the driver or subsystem is
refactored in order to accomadate this.

I fail to see why the same cannot apply the other way around.

Mindlessly appying an s/of_/device_/ regex just adds to the mess.

Thanks,
Mark.