Re: [RFC 00/15] ACPI graph support

On 10/06/2016 02:14 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 11:20:49AM -0600, Al Stone wrote:
>
>> So where does this leave us?  What I take away from the discussion is
>> this:
>
>> a) each use of _DSD device properties in the kernel is to be evaluated on
>> a case-by-case basis.  Therefore, Rafael and/or driver maintainers have
>> the final say on acceptance in the Linux kernel.
>
> Are we talking about pure _DSD here or are we not talking about something
> definitely ACPI specific?  I was under the impression from the thread title
> that there's something involving inter-node links going on here since I
> thought it wasn't possible to represent that in _DSD alone. I might be
> missing something here, I was copied in part way through the thread.

My intent was pure _DSD.  I have to wonder if inter-node links shouldn't be
handled more directly in ASL; that may be harder than using device properties,
but it might be the right long term solution.

>> e) Windows and Linux are already diverging in their use of _DSD.
>
> I'm concerned we're seeing this outside of just _DSD.

Well, since I have not been appointed Emperor, I'm not sure it can be prevented.

>> If I didn't, then it seems a mechanism external to the Linux kernel to
>> document device properties is completely redundant, especially given item
>> (e) -- they will either be documented in DT, or documented by the driver.
>> irrelevant, or what's worse, makes for duplicated work, and should just
>> go away.
>
>> I'm fine with that, if that's what we're saying (it's less for me to do
>> :), but let's say it explicitly instead of re-hashing it every time _DSD
>> is used.  The above list is nice and simple and personally I'd rather
>> have simple than a full blown registration process.
>
> Like I've said before having some effort to try to pull the ACPI community
> together so they're talking to each other and trying to come up with best
> practices seems like a good idea.

I agree it seems like a good idea.  As a practical matter, however, if it is
just going to be ignored, there's no real point, is there?

That also begs the question, though: if the idea is to re-use DT bindings as is,
why not just use DT directly and not bother with ACPI?  Wouldn't that be easier
on everyone?  If arm64 can use ACPI *or* DT, surely any other architecture can.

--
ciao,
al