Re: ACPI device using sub-resource of PCI device

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:46:03AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 02:35:43 PM Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> > I think the acpi_init()/pci_subsys_init() ordering is correct.  The
> > ACPI namespace is primary.  A PCI hierarchy originates at a PCI host
> > bridge in the ACPI namespace, so we should enumerate the ACPI
> > namespace first, and when we find a PCI host bridge, we should
> > enumerate the PCI devices below it.
> >
> > That said, I think it is correct mostly by accident and it would be
> > nice if it were more explicit.
>
> No, it isn't by accident.
>
> The enumeration of PCI devices under a PCI host bridge discovered via ACPI
> starts in acpi_pci_root_add() which quite explicitly is only called after
> enumerating the ACPI namespace entirely.
>
> acpi_bus_scan() has two passes now, one is to call acpi_bus_check_add() for
> all namespace objects and the other is the acpi_bus_attach() pass where
> all things like acpi_pci_root_add() are called.

I meant the ordering between acpi_init() and pci_subsys_init().
They're both subsys_initcalls, so their ordering is determined by link
order, which is not at all obvious (at least to me), since acpi_init()
is in drivers/acpi and pci_subsys_init() is in arch/x86.  If they were
both in drivers, the drivers/Makefile would make it pretty obvious.
But finding the order of "arch" relative to "drivers" in Makefile is
less obvious.

acpi_init() has to be before pci_subsys_init(), and it is.  I
shouldn't have said it was by accident, just that it's non-obvious.

Bjorn