Re: ACPI device using sub-resource of PCI device

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 06:02:08 PM Aaron Durbin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I think the acpi_init()/pci_subsys_init() ordering is correct.  The
> >> ACPI namespace is primary.  A PCI hierarchy originates at a PCI host
> >> bridge in the ACPI namespace, so we should enumerate the ACPI
> >> namespace first, and when we find a PCI host bridge, we should
> >> enumerate the PCI devices below it.
> >>
> >> That said, I think it is correct mostly by accident and it would be
> >> nice if it were more explicit.
> >
> > No, it isn't by accident.
> >
> > The enumeration of PCI devices under a PCI host bridge discovered via ACPI
> > starts in acpi_pci_root_add() which quite explicitly is only called after
> > enumerating the ACPI namespace entirely.
> >
> > acpi_bus_scan() has two passes now, one is to call acpi_bus_check_add() for
> > all namespace objects and the other is the acpi_bus_attach() pass where
> > all things like acpi_pci_root_add() are called.

> >> Yes, I think PCIBARTarget looks like the right way to do this.  It
> >> doesn't *seem* like it'd be that hard to implement; have you looked
> >> into that at all?
> >>
> >> Without PCIBARTarget, the AML contains fixed register addresses, so it
> >> will break if Linux reassigns the BAR.
> >
> > Right.

> >> I think the best solution would be to implement PCIBARTarget, but if
> >> that's impossible, this seems like a plausible workaround.
> >>
> >> I don't know if the conflict would necessarily have to be with the
> >> ACPI companion itself.  It seems like you could have some hierarchy of
> >> ACPI devices where the leaf conflicts with a PCI BAR.  Maybe if a
> >> resource of *any* ACPI device below a PCI host bridge conflicts with a
> >> PCI BAR, we should insert the PCI BAR as a parent?
> >>
> >> And since moving that BAR would break the AML, we should probably mark
> >> the BAR as IORESOURCE_PCI_FIXED.
> >
> > Isn't the problem a probe ordering issue, though?
>
> No. Not just ordering. There's no parent-child relationship taken into
> account when PCI devices are added to the resource tree. Deferring
> adding an ACPI device's resources would likely fail similarly because
> one doesn't take into account the proper parent. One lives in PCI land
> -- the other in ACPI land.

What exactly do you mean by "PCI land" and "ACPI land"?

All PCI resources are derived from the host bridge ones that come from
ACPI anyway.

> Currently, the issue is manifesting that the ACPI device's resources
> are added into the resource tree. PCI devices the follow trying to add
> their own resources. Conflicts ensue without taking into account the
> proper hierarchy. To make matters worse, struct resource doesn't have
> a struct device -- only a name. That means there's no way of knowing
> who owns what resource. All that information is unavailable. That's
> why the semi-hacky proposal was to see if there is an ACPI companion
> device and see if it has children. If it's children's names match the
> conflicting resource it's a good bet that the PCI device's resources
> should be placed as the parent in the resource tree.

That really looks like a broken hierarchy of devices somewhere.

And one more thing: a struct acpi_device object is not a device in general
(althogh some pieces of code in the kernel, arguably incorrectly, treat it
this way).  It is an abstract representation of a firmware entity (a node
in the ACPI namespace).

There really should be a "physical device" thing corresponding to it and
that should be a child of the PCI device object in question.

> > Do we assign BARs for endpoints during enumeration or only when we find a
> > matching driver?
>
> BARs look to be assigned during enumeration. There's where conflicts
> are found and resources reassigned in the current failing case.

OK

You seem to be saying that we insert some resources for ACPI device objects
that correspond to the children of ACPI companions of PCI devices before we
assign the BARs for their parent devices.

To me, that sounds very suspicious.

Where in the code are the ACPI resources inserted, exactly?

Thanks,
Rafael