Re: ACPI device without physical node (pnpacpi oddity?)

On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 01:22:16 PM Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 10:34:44 AM Zhang Rui wrote:

> > > What if they refuse?
> >
> > Well, we don't have a kernel solution for this case so far.

> > > That's correct.  I guess this is a hack for Windows to prevent it from
> > > displaying "yellow bangs" for devices without "real" drivers.
> >
> > Does this mean that the Windows "PNP0C02" driver won't prevent any other
> > driver from probing its devices?

> > > OK, but we need to keep the current ordering or there will be regressions in
> > > some odball configurations.
> > >
> > > What about walking (a) creating a list of things that have "PNP0C02" in their
> > > list of PNP IDs and (b) walking that list after we've completed the initial
> > > scan and reserving the resources for the ones that still have no drivers?
> > >
> > hmmm, first of all, a question, say, for a device have _CID "PNP0C02"
> > and _HID, if we want to bind the _HID, what should we do?
> > should we reserve the resources before loading the _HID driver, and free
> > the resources after unloading the _HID driver?
>
> No, we shouldn't.  Handling the resources is up to the driver then.

Actually, scratch that.

We should register IO and memory resources for everything with _CRS to prevent
them from being allocated to something else (and possibly use _PRS/_SRS if
available to resolve conflicts).

If we do that, we won't need the special driver for "PNP0C02" at all.

Thanks,
Rafael