Re: sysfs charge thresholds for ThinkPads (and possibly others), preparation for second try

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 11:40:00AM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 01:51:10AM +0200, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 11:07:28PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > > Hi everyone (Thinkpad-ACPI, ACPI, and Power supply maintainers),
> > >
> > > some might know that I presented a patch set adding support for
> > > charge thresholds to thinkpad_acpi about 1.5 years ago.
> >
> > Can you provide a link to the patch set?
>
> Sure:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.acpi.ibm-acpi.devel/3175
>
> (it was not on the ACPI and Power MLs back then)

Thanks.

> [...]

> > > If you, the ACPI and power supply people, have any preferred
> > > way (or any idea at all how) to proceed, that would be useful,
> > > so I don't start working on it again, and then somebody does
> > > not like it.
> >
> > Adding charging thresholds as power_supply_property sounds
> > fine to me.
>
> Right, it gets a bit more complicated though: Since the code is
> platform-specific, it should live in the platform driver, so a
> way is needed to extend the existing device with new properties
> from the platform driver.

Yes, my answer was only from the power supply subsystem's point of
view, since I do not know much about the thinkpad-acpi and SBS
driver. It seems the SBS driver has already minimal support for
handling platform specifics via the acpi_sbs_dmi_table, though. I
suggest to add a Thinkpad entry and modify the SBS driver, so that
it calls your additional code.

It would be nice, if the Thinkpad specific code could also be used
to add a label to the batteries, so that it's easier to distinguish
batteries in case of multiple ones being available.

-- Sebastian