Re: Overriding DSDT and ignored resources

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:21:57 +0200
Mika Westerberg <mika.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 02:57:29PM +0100, Antonio Ospite wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it looks like linux can't use the correct PCI host resources when using
> > an overridden DSDT table, even with an _unmodified_ one.
> >
> > I am using 3.19-rc5 rather vanilla (no acpi changes anyways) on a Bay
> > Trail tablet.
> >
> > When I override the DSDT table I get these messages, and most of the
> > devices don't work anymore:

[...]

> Are you using the latest ACPICA?

acpica-tools 20141107

> > Can anyone else reproduce that?
>
> Nope, but I have done several times following:
>
>  1) Take the DSDT dump
>  2) iasl -d DSDT
>  3) iasl -tc DSDT.dsl
>
>  (the above will make .hex file)
>
>  4) Edit your .config and add:
>
>  CONFIG_STANDALONE=n
>  CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT_FILE="/path/to/your/DSDT.hex"
>
>  5) Rebuild and reboot
>
> That typically works for me.

OK, that was not necessary, the initrd method works just fine.

Once I knew you couldn't replicate it, I redid all the steps and now it
works. It was obviously something wrong on my side, the difference
between a working an a non working DSDT in my case is basically this:

-    OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x7C22BA98, 0x0334)
+    OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x7BEBAA98, 0x0334)

Probably I was using a dump from a firmware version different than the
one I was trying to override.

Sorry for the noise.

BTW, in my previous attempts I also ended up patching the pin numbers
in the original DSDT by hand and fixing up the checksum as an
experiment, if anyone ever needed to do that here is a trivial tool to
calculate and verify the checksum of a DSDT table:
http://git.ao2.it/experiments/ACPI.git/blob/HEAD:/acpi_table_checksum.py

Thanks,
   Antonio

--