Re: ACPI PCC probe failed.

On Wednesday, February 04, 2015 05:06:26 PM Ashwin Chaugule wrote:
> On 4 February 2015 at 17:14, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 04, 2015 09:56:20 AM Ashwin Chaugule wrote:
> >> Hi Rafael,

> >> Apologies. Looks like leftover from some early "printk" style debugging. :)
> >
> > Well, does that mean I should apply the patch below?
>
> Sure. Thanks.

> >> In V4 of the CPPC patchset I've simplified the PCC code a lot which
> >> should make many of the prints go away. Can we consider that patch
> >> (I'll add any more pr_debugs to it) or would you prefer having a
> >> separate cleanup patch for this?
> >
> > This is a patch for the mailbox subsystem maintainer to consider.  If it is
> > accepted and if there are any of these excessvely verbose messages still present,
> > I'll expect them to be fixed in a separate patch.
>
> Ok.
>

> > I have one more concern about this driver.  Namely, what benefit is there to
> > people like Cristian from it at all?
>
> Its of use only if they have a PCC client (MPST, CPPC, RAS) driver.
> Looks like PCC was explicitly enabled in this kernel.
>
> config PCC
> bool "Platform Communication Channel Driver"
> depends on ACPI

Can we make it depend on the clients instead and be set automatically
when at least one of the clients is enabled?

Otherwise distros will have a problem with deciding whether or not they
should enable this driver and most of them will end up enabling it.

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.