Re: [RFC] ASoC: core: Allow DAI links to be specified by using ACPI names

On 10/03/2013 04:37 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 03:33:56PM +0300, Jarkko Nikula wrote:

For instance, matchine drivers could specify codec in DAI link by using:
	.codec_name = "INT33CA:00",
instead of
	.codec_name = "rt5640.0-001c",
Note that ACPI name is used just an alias during bind time and core
continues to use device name. In fact, machine drivers could use either
names.
This is making me wonder if we shouldn't be taking the stable names we
get from ACPI as the dev_name() instead of our internal ones on ACPI
systems (and possibly something similar on DT) rather than adding custom
code like this.
This is actually somewhat confusing issue. I think it's relatively easy to switch using ACPI names within ASoC core (by modifying fmt_single_name or something like that).

Problem is that for ACPI enumerated client devices the dev_name(dev) still comes from those subsystems as before. So for instance dev_ prints in codec driver or ASoC core keeps printing "rt5640 0-001c:" as before and I personally find it a bit more confusing if internal ASoC names don't match as easily with dev_ prints.

But yes, I agree. This alias name in DAI link is not that clear either as it exists only during bind time.

--
Jarkko