Re: New motherboard not detecting all memory

On 30/06/2013 11:31, Jack Mitchell wrote:
On 30/06/2013 10:23, Jack Mitchell wrote:
I recently bought a new AMD FM2 motherboard[1] and coupled it with an
AMD A4 APU. I put 2x2GB sticks of RAM in the board, and the UEFI bios
detects both sticks and reports 4GB. Now, when I boot into a fresh
install of Linux [2] only 1501MB is reported as available.

I was told this may be an ACPI problem, I have updated the motherboard
to the latest BIOS revision which works. Could anyone shed any light on
this, or where I should make a start in helping to debug the problem?

Kind Regards,
Jack.

[1] http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4383&dl=#ov
[2] Linux mediaserver 3.9.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 20 22:45:32
CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have attached the dmidecode output in case that is of any help; I can
see that it is only registering one bank of RAM, so detection of RAM
seems to be the issue; but I don't know what is causing it.

I have also attached a dmesg.

Cheers,
Jack.

Ok, I fiddled with the seating of the RAM and changing the slots; it appears that one of the sticks is bad, but the motherboard will still detect it in BIOS if it is coupled with the good stick. The bad stick on it's own will not even get to the BIOS 'initialization' screen.

Apologies for the noise.

Cheers,
Jack.

--