S3 question

Dear ACPI developers,

I have a question about S3 (Suspend To RAM) sleep.

Explicit warning: This mail mentions Windows XP. If you have heart problems, please skip this mail entirely.

I am currently working with an Atom-based PC for embedded (POS) application,
we use a custom modified Linux distribution.

The BIOS is setup in a way so the suspend mode is S3 and video Re-POST is
enabled when resuming from S3.

The vendor of the machine tests suspend/resume using Windows XP SP3.
The machine can suspend/resume properly under Linux as well but there is
a big difference.

When resuming, the video is not re-POSTed under Windows XP but the
screen comes back just fine. When resuming under Linux, the first thing that
appears on the screen are some lines in text mode indicating that video re-POST
is happening. (A totally different screen from the screens at powerup.)

Does anyone know:
1. What XP is doing differently here?
2. Can the same sequence be also done under Linux? Maybe with a command line
   option to control the way S3 is done?

Please, use reply-all, I am not subscribed to this mailing list.

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán Böszörményi