Re: Discussion on device's runtime wake capability

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 of October 2012 08:47:43 Aaron Lu wrote:

>> > No, we can't.
>> >
>> > Do you have examples of devices where it is harmful?
>>
>> Yes, for the ZPODD device.
>> It has _PRW specifying it can wake the system up from S4. And I tried
>> not to powering on the power resources referenced in _PRW, no problem
>> for it to generate wake event in S0.
>
> How does it do that? Through the _PRW GPE or something else?

Yes, through the GPE defined in _PRW.

>> Let me try to conclude:
>> - The behaviour of devices which only have _PRW should not be changed;
>> - We can change the way we check if a device is run wake capable by
>>   checking if it has _PRW or _S0W;
>> - For devices which have both _PRW and _S0W, we need consider if
>>   powering on _PRW is needed for run wake.
>
> Well, _S0W only tells us what power state(s) it is safe to put the device into
> without breaking its wakeup capability, but it doesn't really guarantee that,
> for example, the _PRW GPE will always work if the device is in one of the
> "safe" states.

Suppose _S0W returns 4, and its wake up event is sent through GPE
defined in _PRW, and system is at S0. Do we need to turn on the power
resources referenced in _PRW when we put the device into D3_COLD
and its run wake capability is desired?

> My interpretation of the _PRW output is that it tells us the wakeup GPE number
> and a list of resources needed for that GPE to actually work. In which case it
> shouldn't matter whether or not the system is in S0.

>From this, it sounds like if GPE is used, _PRW should always be turned on.

Thanks,
Aaron