Re: Wakeup and S states

On 06/15/2011 11:44 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:12:03AM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:

Conversely, if an ethernet controller is capable of waking up the
system from S5, that does not mean we want it left powered on and
capable of doing so when we shut the machine off, but had WOL
enabled.  Is there no way to enable wakeup only from S3, even though
the device is capable of lower levels?

Well, that's the usual use-case for WoL. If you don't want a device to
wake up from a specific sleep state, disable that device before entering
that sleep state.

I am reading reports from some users that their laptop keeps the
ethernet interface powered on and runs down the battery after shutting
down. It seems they are capable of waking the system from S5. It appears that if the interface is not ethdown'ed in /etc/init.d/halt, then it remains on. Are you saying that it is up to userspace to disable WOL and down the interface before shutting down?

Also strangely, ethtool reports that WOL is enabled for magic packet ( which I guess comes from the bios default, I checked my desktop and it also appears to default to wol: g, but can only wakeup from s4 ), but /proc/acpi/wakeup claims wakeup for the device is disabled. They should always agree shouldn't they?