Re: [patch 6/8] hwmon driver for ACPI 4.0 power meters

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 09:39:36PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 12:41:09PM -0700, akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > This driver exposes ACPI 4.0 compliant power meters as hardware monitoring
> > devices.  This second revision of the driver also exports the ACPI string
> > info as sysfs attributes, a list of the devices that the meter measures,
> > and will send ACPI notifications over the ACPI netlink socket.  This
> > latest revision only enables the power capping controls if it can be
> > confirmed that the power cap can be enforced by the hardware and explains
> > how the notification interfaces work.
>
> I know I'm a bit late on this, but what do you mean by "it can be
> confirmed that the power cap can be enforced by the hardware"? Isn't
> that what bit 2 of the capabilities list means?

As I recall, Pavel had an objection that it wasn't clear to him that ACPI
advertising a capping ability necessarily meant that the platform hardware
would actually _enforce_ that cap, so I put in a DMI hook so that the cap only
appears on systems where ACPI advertises the ability /and/ someone can verify
that it's enforced outside software (either by patching the DMI table or by
supplying a module parameter).

I guess we were afraid that someone would build an ACPI power meter and then
require software to read the cap out of ACPI and enforce it(??) though I can't
find a link to that discussion.  I'll just attach it below, since the marc.info
archive of mm-commits doesn't seem to have caught it.

--D

On Thu 2009-08-20 14:37:55, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:15:57PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > +power[1-*]_cap			If power use rises above this limit, the
> > > +				system should take action to reduce power use.
> > > +				A poll notification is sent to this file if the
> > > +				cap is changed by the hardware.
> >
> > This one needs better documentation, I'd say. Who should take action?
> > What action? What happens if this is ignored? Hardware can change it;
> > does that mean we now have mandatory new daemon watching this?
>
> Hmm, well, I was hoping the note for power*_alarm would suffice, but I guess I
> could explicitly state that non-specific Bad Things may happen to the computer
> if software ignores overpower situations.  From what I've seen of
> hardware-based monitor/cap systems, however, the hardware will usually take
> action if it doesn't observe the software making changes.
>
> Of course, if the hw can manage everything, then no daemon's necessary.  If it
> doesn't, then one most probably is required.  Unfortunately that leaves us with
> "Contact your vendor to find out".  Not terribly satisfying. :(

Not satisfying, right. Is it possible to remove that feature from
current patches until the situation is clear?

Requiring a daemon for safe operation of the system would be huge step
back...
								Pavel

On Fri 2009-08-21 11:47:18, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:19:40AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > > Of course, if the hw can manage everything, then no daemon's necessary.  If it
> > > doesn't, then one most probably is required.  Unfortunately that leaves us with
> > > "Contact your vendor to find out".  Not terribly satisfying. :(
> >
> > Not satisfying, right. Is it possible to remove that feature from
> > current patches until the situation is clear?
>
> Which feature, specifically?  Everything related to the cap, or just the
> notification?  I doubt that we'll ever be able to clarify this
> question for all

Everything related to the cap.

> systems other than to implement a whitelist or something.  Perhaps it would not
> be so bad to have a "power1_cap_enforcer" file that tells you if the cap is
> done in hw, if it's expected that the OS must do capping, or if the kernel
> simply has no idea.  But I've observed resistance to whitelists in the kernel,
> so I'm not sure that would fly.

Well, user<->kernel interface that we do not understand is bad idea,
too. whitelist would be preferable to _that_.
									Pavel