ACPI compatible SMBus driver and flawed DSDT table (request approach)

Gah! Now with added subject line...

Following the change to strict ACPI resource checking, I'm getting error messages about the i2c_i801 driver conflicting:

[ 5.892659] i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: PCI INT C -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18 [ 5.892711] ACPI: I/O resource 0000:00:1f.3 [0x400-0x41f] conflicts with ACPI region SMRG [0x400-0x40f] [ 5.892755] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver

Clearly the resource checking is the right way to go, so I started to investigate an ACPI-capable driver for the i801 I2C bus. The i2c-scmi driver looks plausible, but doesn't work immediately. (Note that the asus_atk0110 driver works fine for the sensors via ACPI, but there are other devices on the I2C bus e.g. DIMM SPDs)

The ACPI tables on this box (ASUS P5K-E) don't have a defined EC, or any device with PNP0C09, ACPI0001 or ACPI0005 HIDs. They do however, define the SMRG region and a series of methods to access the I2C bus.

I'd like some recommendation for the best approach:

a) Tweak the DSDT for myself to provide a device which will conform to a standard, then use a standard driver. Obviously not a very palatable solution for others.

b) Some form of automatic fixup when the ACPI tables are parsed, although the method names appear a little arbitrary - it's not simply a case of a missing _HID.

c) Forget about it, use acpi_enforce_resources=lax, and just hope I never get an unlocked race (not preferred!)

d) Something else I clearly haven't thought of (most likely)

Clearly the ACPI tables lacking the bus device is a problem fairly particular to this hardware, and the fix is likely to be targetted, but I'd like to make it as universal as possible. If I can get an ACPI driver working, and fix this for more than just myself, then brilliant.

--
Peter Denison <peterd at marshadder dot org>