Re: Working DSDT+SSDT, what's next?

Ok, I've continued learning, more info injected below:

On 04/16/10 14:42, pat-lkml@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Ok, first time poster, long time reader.
>
> I have a Clevo D900T mobo based laptop.  These were only ever produced
> with p4 5xx series chips, but the chipset (ICH6) supports the 6xx series.
> Because it was never produced with a 6xx cpu, a bios was never released
> that supported things like EIST or EM64T.  EM64T worked fine, out of the
> box.  EIST did not (due to no SSDT tables with PSS/PCT/PPC methods).  I was
> able to get EIST working with a hacked-up DSDT, but I'm curious if I'm
> doing everything I should.
>
> Intel CPU Spec: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL8Q7
> Intel Data Sheet:
> http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/303128.pdf
>
> Right now, I just have 2 C States, for 3.0Ghz and 2.8Ghz.  It's my
> understanding that these are the only speeds EIST can do in this CPU.
>
> now, the questions:
>
> 1. Is there something I should be doing with a _CSD type entry in my
> CPU{0,1} entries to signify that they're HT?

Yep, I needed to add a pair of _CSD entries.  EIST is now adjusting speeds correctly!

> 3. How do I determine VID values?
>    a. I've just lowered VID 1 by 1, loading the system until it became
> unstable, at which point I added 1 and called it good
>    b. Is there any advantage to multiple VID's with 1 VID?  IE:
> 3ghz@xxxxx, 3Ghz@xxxxx

People in linux-pch have helped me here

> 4. in the PSS table, the first entry (3000,2800 in my case), are those
> just for show?

Still don't have an answer here.

> 5. Are there additional features the CPU supports that, due to bios
> limitation, I should enable this way (C1E?)

Ok, I now now I need to come up with a _CST table (unless one of the other tables is doing this...) to enable C-States, and C1E in particular... Anyone have any pointers on where to start on this?  All of the info I seem to be able to find are for C2Q and newer CPUs, not older P4s like what I have.

> outline of what I've done: http://pat.erley.org/Other/P4EISTSSDT
>
> Pat Erley

Pat Erley