Re: [Acpi4asus-user] 1005PE's and backlight controls

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Zhang Rui <rui.zhang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 09:30 +0800, Zhang Rui wrote:

>> > I think the following tells me firmware is sending them.  If I leave
>> > acpi_osi="Windows 2009" so that eeepc_laptop doesn't get loaded, I see
>> > events like this on /pro/acpi/event:
>> >
>> > video LCDD 00000087 00000000
>> > video LCDD 00000087 00000000
>> > video LCDD 00000086 00000000
>> > video LCDD 00000086 00000000
>> >
>> > Thats a couple decreases followed by a couple increases.
>> >
>> I have a EEEpc 1005PE. I'm looking at the backlight problem on this
>> machine, but it seems to be different from this one.
>>
>> The hotkey seems to work perfectly when ACPI video driver is loaded.
>> i.e. I get a single hotkey event when pressing the hotkey and the value
>> of /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness changes correctly.
>>
>> The only problem I get is that the actual brightness does not change
>> consistently.
>> say, there are 15 brightness levels in all,
>> level 0, level 5 and level 12 give me a screen with lowest brightness.
>> If I want to get maximum backlight, I need to set it to level 4 or level
>> 11.

I'm curious, do you still see this issue if you first kill
gnome-power-manager first?

> Oh, this have already been fixed in the latest BIOS.

Wasn't fixed in my case.  I'd be curious to here if it fixes for you.

> Chris,
> do you mean you get duplicate hotkey events after upgrading the BIOS?

With latest firmware, I get zero hotkey events over /dev/input/event*
unless I add acpi_backlight=vendor to boot options.  When I add that
option, I finally get correct events out /dev/input/event* and not any
duplicate.

In all cases, I get some kind of events by monitoring /proc/acpi/event
when pressing Fn-* but not any duplicates... and I suspect those are
not considered  as duplicates of /dev/input/*.

Chris